Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:59 AM PT
'Dumb and Dumber' Producers Fire Back

     (CN) - The producers of the hit movie "Dumb and Dumber" say Red Granite Pictures is using money from the Malaysian prime minister's family to squeeze them out of producing the upcoming sequel.
     Steve Stabler and Brad Krevoy sued Red Granite Pictures, Riza Shahriz Bin Abdul Aziz aka Riza Aziz, and Joey McFarland in Los Angeles Superior Court for breach of contract, interference with contractual relations, and breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
     Stabler and Krevoy say they have "a right of first negotiation" to produce a sequel to "Dumb and Dumber" that is "on terms at least as favorable as the original." That means New Line Cinema, which put out the original, should pay the producers at least as much as they received for producing "Dumb and Dumber," according to the complaint.
     "In connection with marketing the rights to a sequel of the original, New Line Cinema and the creative team of Peter and Bobby Farrelly, Charles Wessler, Bradley Thomas, and Mark Fisher created a production budget that was submitted to prospective buyers, and plaintiffs were included in this budget," the complaint says.
     "Based on the mutual understanding that plaintiffs would be hired to produce the sequel, plaintiffs worked long hours to arrange for independent production funding and for distribution of the sequel. As a result of the process, the value of the rights to the sequel was enhanced."
     Stabler and Krevoy say Red Granite "made an attractive financial proposal" to acquire rights to the sequel, which was accepted by New Line Cinema and Warner Brothers.
     New Line and Warner "have been 100 percent supportive of plaintiffs' position that they are legally entitled to payment from Red Granite," the complaint states.
     Despite this, producers McFarland and Aziz "caused New Line Cinema to wash its hands of plaintiffs' agreement and Red Granite to renege on the obligations to plaintiffs," Stabler and Krevoy say in their complaint.
     Aziz is a relative of Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, and the plaintiff producers say he and McFarland's "misconduct and hubris will cause Red Granite to crash and burn."
     "Although Red Granite apparently has family money from Shahriz Bin Abdul Aziz, Red Granite will not succeed with money alone because McFarland's and Shahriz Bin Abdul Aziz's experience producing motion pictures during their short tenure in the industry consists of cavorting in nightclubs with Paris Hilton and making dinner reservations at posh nightclubs in New York and Los Angeles," the complaint says.
     Stabler and Krevoy say Red Granite owes them at least $400,000 in front end compensation based on their 1994 agreement with New Line because McFarland and Shahriz Bin Abdul Aziz made Red Granite start pre-production of the movie without them.
     The producers are represented by Bryan Freedman, Steven Formaker and Steven Stiglitz with Freedman & Taitelman in Los Angeles.
     Last week, Red Granite sued Stabler and Krevoy, claiming they did not have any rights to compensation for the "Dumb and Dumber" sequel under the 1994 agreement with New Line.